Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Questions & Answers

This meme (whatever a meme is) was initially posted at: http://wisb.blogspot.com/2010/05/book-habits-meme-reboot.html with an invite to answer it on your own blog. I thought I'd do just that.

Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack:

I hardly ever eat while reading. I just can’t do the whole dip into bowl, navigate snack to mouth thing and still concentrate on the book. My manual dexterity is and always has been shocking. So the answer is no.

What is your favorite drink while reading?

Very rarely drink while reading. If I get thirsty, I’ll put the book down and go to the kitchen to get something to drink. On the rare occasions this does happen it’ll probably be Coke.

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?

Horrifies me, always has. Never ever do it.

How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book flat open?

I have 2 bookmarks, one is a soft woven, Persian rug type thing and the other is a cross stitch that my wife made for me. I usually mark my place with them. Very occasionally if I know I’m not going to be away for long I will lay it flat open. Dog earing the pages is a huge no no for me. I haven’t done that since I was about 8 years old.

Fiction, nonfiction, or both?

Mostly fiction. I do sometimes read non fiction if the subject interests me. The last non fiction was The Age of Wonder.

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere?



My wife laughs at me about this. I HAVE to read to the end of a chapter or a section. Terry Pratchett annoys me because he doesn’t usually have chapters in his books.

Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?



I joke about throwing books across the room if I don’t like them, but I don’t think I’ve ever actually done it. I rarely don’t finish a book, but if I really can’t go on I close the book, put it in another room and generally leave it there to rot.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?



No, but I do try and remember it so I can check it on the computer.

What are you currently reading?

Jorge Luis Borges: The Book of Sand. Truth be told I don’t really like it much and can’t work out why he’s so respected.

What is the last book you bought?

Monster by A. Lee Martinez. I went on a real book buying spree for a while and I’m trying cut back so I can at least make some inroads into the ever growing TBR pile.

Are you the type of person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one?



My wife can read more than one at a time, she has had as many as 5 on the go at the one time. I’m strictly a one at a time person, unless you count graphic novels. With those I’m usually reading the graphic novel at home and keeping the book for the commute.

Do you have a favorite time/place to read?

I don’t have a specific time or place, but I do most of my reading on the train to and from work. I also try to read a chapter in bed at night before turning off the light.

Do you prefer series books or stand alones?



Both. It depends on the book. Stand alones don’t require you to wait in between books, but if the series is good enough and the wait isn’t too long I can do it, although A Song of Ice and Fire has turned me off buying the first book of a number of new series until at least the 2nd book is out.

Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?



It changes, but 3 things that stay up there are: Dave Duncan’s A Man of His Word series, Tad Williams The War of the Flowers and Scott Lynch’s Gentleman Bastards series.

How do you organize your books? (by genre, title, author’s last name, etc.)



When we get the time we try to put them on the shelves in our library alphabetically by author. Makes them much easier to find that way.

3 comments:

  1. I'll have a go at this - don’t have my own blog, so I’m borrowing yours...

    Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack:

    Yes I do eat, but I don't have a particular favourite thing to eat. Just whatever I'm nibbling on, I guess.


    What is your favorite drink while reading?

    Coffee. Also my favourite drink when not reading *laugh*


    Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?

    Only writing in books I ever did was for school. I don't write in my own books - horrible thought!


    How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book flat open?

    I use a bookmark usually, I'm in the process of sewing myself another one (Lottie the elephant). I also remember the page number, which amazes my SLOC as he can't do that. Haven't dog-eared for years, but will also lay the book flat if only leaving it for a few minutes.


    Fiction, nonfiction, or both?

    Mostly fiction. But I do like reading history non-fiction, especially books which are lots of "short stories" or essays as I can dip in & out of them.


    Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere? 



    SLOC hates this - I can stop reading in the middle of the chapter/page/paragraph if the mood takes me. And I can pick it back up again no problems. He has to finish at end of a chapter or it stresses him muchly *laugh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part2...

    Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you? 



    I don't throw my books around, even if I think they're utter rubbish. I also rarely abandon books - it may take me a few months, but I pretty much finish everything I start. But once I finish it, it goes straight into the "donate" pile.


    If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away? 



    I've got a pretty big vocabulary, and I can usually figure out the word from the context - except those in another language.


    What are you currently reading?

    Am actually between books at this moment, I finished "The King's Favourite" by Susan Holloway Scott at lunchtime, and am trying to decide which of the 30 or so books on my TBR mountain to pick up next.


    What is the last book you bought?

    I bought 5 last night, 4 by Charlaine Harris (not Sookie Stackhouse, her other mysteries) and a timeslip book to Regency England.


    Are you the type of person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one? 



    Ooh, I'm usually got a couple of books on the go, different genres (mostly...) so I don't get them mixed-up. SLOC doesn't get how I don't get confused with them all, but I've always been able to keep things like that straight in my head.
    He also doesn't get how I can read & watch TV at the same time, and be able to follow both with ease.


    Do you have a favorite time/place to read?

    I read most lunchtimes at work - I have a late lunch so there's usually only 1 or 2 other people in the lunchroom. And most evenings while watching TV, and also a bit while in bed each night. Basically I can read any time, any place.


    Do you prefer series books or stand alones? 



    Both. I like series if I'm enjoying the characters & want know "what happens next". But I also like stand-alones as you know you’re going to get a resolution y the end of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Part 3:

    Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over? 



    I don't usually recommend books or authors to people. I have my favourites, but they're not necessarily ones I would recommend to others.


    How do you organize your books? (by genre, title, author’s last name, etc.)



    Theoretically, they're all alphabetical by author, series & title. In practice, they’re mostly that way, with the new books piled in front of the relevant letter waiting to be reshelved.
    I also have a couple of separate bookcases which hold my School-story literature, and most of my historical fiction. (The HF with the nongirly covers are in the main shelves *laugh*. They don't offend my SLOC's sense of Blokiness.)


    Annonymouse on the couch

    ReplyDelete